Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tjocolate Babs


Today is unseasonably warm. In other words, it's nearly eighty degrees outside, with a blue sky and soft breeze when it could be frozen and snowing a few miles off. In yet other words, a perfect day to celebrate the beach!

Eliza loves baking with me, and asked very sweetly if we could bake bread. How can a father deny his 3-year old this skill? So, we decided to bake Chocolate Crabs.

First, I made some simple sweet dough from Richard Bertinet's book "Dough". While it was rising, we went to ballet class.

Eliza and I had a great time working as I rolled out 8 large balls, and 16 little squarish cuts for claws. Eliza worked hard on rolling out 16 snakes for the legs.

While she did that, I made the body by encapsulating a small handfull of chocolate chips in the ball.

When all the pieces were done, we laid out two legs in an X and washed them with egg. Then, laid the body on top, and pinched on the claws. When I say "we", I mean, I did this while Eliza painted them with the egg-wash.

When all 8 were ready, they went into the preheated oven at 450, turned straight-way down to 400 for 20 min in shifts. I watched some "Legend of the Seeker" while Eliza played outside with some empty paint tubes; frighteningly, they didn't use to be empty...

When they were done, we enjoyed the fruits of our labors!

Just like the hat says, Life is Good.

2 comments:

  1. you're so cool jake! if i'm back in chico for the summer, can i come make fun things out of bread with you and your kids? haha

    ReplyDelete